Skilled worker Visa Requirements in the UK
The UK Skilled Worker visa scheme is designed to bring in skilled overseas workers into the UK labour market and who then subsequently can qualify for permanent residence after five years of living in the UK. The overseas Skilled Worker must have been offered a position in a UK company that holds a sponsorship licence. The skilled worker visa substituted and replaced the Tier 2 (General) Visa, also known as a work permit.
The scheme is based on points and overseas workers need to accumulate 70 points to qualify for the visa.
- There are 50 points attributed to all skilled migrants which are as follows:
- English speaking at the required level (10 points)
- Job offer from an approved sponsor (20 points)
- Relevant skill level for the applied job (20 points)
- If the job offers a salary of at least £25,600 per year/at the going rate (whichever is higher), the applicant will accrue another 20 points to reach the required 70 points. (20 points)
Any job offered to an overseas worker will need to be at a required skill level of RQF3 or above (this is comparable to A-levels). The skill level of the job the overseas worker is performing will determine whether the threshold is met.
Level of English Language
An applicant must have passed the English language to at least CEFR Level B1 (equivalent to IELTS 4.0.
Skilled Worker Visa Certificate of Sponsorship
A person needs to be issued a certificate of Sponsorship by a licenced sponsor (Employer) Certificate of Sponsorship must include certain mandatory information:
- details of your name, job and salary;
- a start date which is no more than 3 months after the date your Skilled Worker visa application;
- confirmation that the Certificate of Sponsorship has not been used in a previous application which was either granted or refused and has not been withdrawn by the sponsor or cancelled by the Home Office;
Skilled worker visa Application fees
- £610 per person for an application of up to three years if applying from outside the UK, longer than three years attracts a greater fee.
- £704 if the Applicant applies from within the UK up to three years of visa. Our fees can be viewed on the next page.